Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Secret Life of Lobsters: How Fishermen and Scientists Are Unraveling the Mysteries of Our Favorite Crustacean - Trevor Corson

The Basics: The Secret Life of Lobsters: How Fishermen and Scientists Are Unraveling the Mysteries of Our Favorite Crustaceans, Trevor Corson, 2004, 289 pages, hardcover

How I found it: After I read The Sushi Economy and was looking for reviews of that book, I noticed that many of the reviews mentioned another sushi book called The Zen of Fish by Trevor Corson. Since my local library doesn't have The Zen of Fish yet, and I live in the lobstering region of Canada, I decided to read Corson's other book on lobsters.

What's it about?: The book explores scientific research on lobster behaviour. Apparently, up until a few decades ago, scientists had no idea what lobsters were up to underwater, or even where they lived or why. The book also examines the contribution of lobster fishermen to this research. The book could also be called the secret lives of lobstermen since it deals with the struggles lobster fishermen have faced and how they have contributed to the conservation effort.

Did I like it?: I loved this book. I learned so much about lobsters that I didn't even know I wanted to learn. The secret life of lobsters is really an underwater soap opera, and I was fascinated by it. This book is really well written and presents the scientific information in an easy to understand and compelling manner. Like the Sushi Economy, this book also made me really hungry for lobster.

Will you like it?: If you like non-fiction at all, this is a great book to read. You'll learn so much about lobsters and even if you thought you weren't interested in lobsters, you will be by the time you finish the book. I can't recommend this book enough.

But don't take my word for it: The usual product info and reader reviews from Amazon, a review from Maine's The Working Waterfront, one from mostlyfiction.com, another from Pop Matters, one from someone at Brown University, and a selection of reviews from goodreads.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment