Friday, September 14, 2007

Catwatching - Desmond Morris

The Basics: Catwatching, Desmond Morris, 1986, 105 pages, hardcover

How I found it: After repeatedly wondering why exactly my cat was doing something, I went in search of a book on cat behaviour at my local public library. This seemed the most informative option, so I picked it up.

What's it about?: The book is written in question and answer form. Each question asks something that people typically want to know about cats, such as 'Why do cats purr?' Basic cat behaviour is covered, as is mating, fighting, kitten-rearing, and the origins of cat-related phrases, such as 'raining cats and dogs'.

Did I like it?: I had previously spent some time on the internet generally, and on wikipedia, trying to find info about cat behaviour. I hadn't found much. This book answered most of the questions I had about cats. I found it really informative. Though I read the whole book cover-to-cover, it would also be a good resource to have around if you just wanted to know a few particular things about cat behaviour.

Will you like it?: If you own a cat or spend time with cats, this is a must read. If don't care for cats, it might still explain a bit about why they act the way they do.

But don't take my word for it: The usual editorial and reader reviews from Amazon and the author's web page were really all I could find.

No comments:

Post a Comment