Wednesday, October 04, 2006

How to Save the World in Your Spare Time - Elizabeth May

The Basics: How to Save the World in Your Spare Time, Elizabeth May, 2006, 207 pages, paperback.

How I Found it: I believe I saw it reviewed in Canadian Geographic, but I might be wrong about that.

What's it about?: This is a how-to manual on how to be an activist or run an activist organization. It includes tips on organization, media handling, public awareness, knowing when to sue, and lots of other stuff. It is written by Canadian Elizabeth May, current leader of the Green Party, former direction of Sierra Club, etc.

Did I like it?: This book was quite informative, but I feel that the title is a bit of a misnomer - it should be Called How to Save the World as Your Part-time Job, because the tactics May uses will consume your life and eat up much more than your spare-time. I found that the book had some good tips that I could even use in the small organizations and clubs I belong to, which is helpful.

Would you like it?: Even if you aren't part of an organization, May gives some good tips on things you can do by yourself, such as letter writing. If you are part of an organization, this is your new bible. May stresses moderation and being careful not to alienate the public or politicians and I think that is a very important message for groups to remember.

But don't take my word for it: a review from the blog athenadreaming.org, one from Geist Magazine (which is Canadian) and review from the Nature Canada website.

No comments:

Post a Comment